The Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, TN witnessed a striking scene on Monday, June 11: a nurse stumbling out of her RV in the wee hours of the morning, calling for help. Soon after, three of the nurses staying in the RV for the festival were airlifted to a nearby hospital under the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning. The fourth was driven to a Manchester hospital following the incident.
Luckily, the nurses are reportedly improving since their hospitalization, according to Sheriff Steve Graves of Coffee County.
“The nurses were using a generator to power the RV they were staying in,” reports WSMV TV in Tennesee.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, and deadly gas that can cause serious damage to those who are exposed to it for long. Specialty gas regulators are a necessity for dangerous gases like carbon monoxide; they’re also essential in lowering high-pressure specialty gases to a suitable, lower pressure for regular use. Installing a proper carbon monoxide monitor in your home and RV is often the only way to tell if carbon monoxide is at dangerous levels.
This isn’t the first time carbon monoxide has posed a danger at Bonnaroo. In 2016, firefighters responded to over eight calls during the four day festival regarding carbon monoxide monitors going off.
Many people don’t think about the dangers of carbon monoxide while camping, reported Hillsboro fire chief, Jerry Brown. It’s essential to bring a carbon monoxide monitor in your RV and crack the windows when no one is inside to allow any poisonous air to leak out.
According to Jerry Bean, this incident doesn’t always happen because of RVs.
“Don’t put tents directly near an RV exhaust and if you put up a blanket to shield yourself from the sun, make sure you open it every so often for ventilation at your campsite — especially if it’s directly next to another RV,” reported Bean in 2016 to the Tennessean.