10 People Sick, One Dead, After Eating Nachos From Sacramento Area Gas Station

*How many times have you pulled over at a gas station late at night, stomach growling, and walked inside the store at the station and smelled the nacho cheese? How many times did you buy it, only to realize it was still nasty? Unfortunately, 10 people recently contracted botulism after they consumed nachos from a gas station  just outside of Sacramento.

A recent update shows that one of the people, Martin Galindo, a family man, has died.

The Sacramento County Department of Health and Human Services put out a statement last week saying that the cause of the illness “appears to be prepared food, particularly nacho cheese sauce” from a gas station in Walnut Grove. 

Botulism is a bacteria that is said to cause 145 cases of human illness per year in the United States. According to the CDC, chances of an outbreak is rare; and although it can be fatal, death only occurs for 3-5%  of patients.

Mr. Galindo, unfortunately, fell into that number.

In a report by CNN affiliate KTXL, Lavinia Kelly was hospitalized after putting the nacho cheese sauce on some Doritos chips on April 21.

“My phone rings and I pick up the phone and it’s her, and she can’t articulate a word,” her sister, Theresa Kelly, told KTXL. She said that at first she thought her sister was going to die. Kelly has spent more than three weeks in the intensive care unit, according to the KTXL report.
Botulism symptoms can include blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech and paralysis, among others. 

Apparently, health officials had ordered the store to stop selling prepared foods on May 5, after a California Department of Public Health officer seized four bags of the cheese sauce, according to a Sacramento County inspection report.  

They were cleared to reopen on May 8 and sell prepackaged foods only.

Mr. Galindo’s family has set up a Go Fund Me page to assist with his burial costs. Learn more in the video here.

Our hearts sincerely go out to the Galindo family. Ms. Galindo left behind his wife, Lorena and two young children.

We wish a complete and expedient recovery to the other victims.

3 thoughts on “10 People Sick, One Dead, After Eating Nachos From Sacramento Area Gas Station”

  1. Thanks for ruining lunch in Sacramento today — and maybe saving my life!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.