*The Wheeling, Illinois-based Evanger’s Pet Food Company is devastated and have recalled one lot of the dog food that they learned has made several dogs ill and fatally wounded another.
This is the first time something like this has happened in the company’s 82-year history.
The company found that the dogs had began getting ill on New Year’s Eve, and started a four-week investigation, sending samples of the food they had eaten to an independent lab “to test for any toxin or bacteria we could possibly imagine. All of those tests came back negative,” they said.
It wasn’t until the end of January that the company heard the term,?’pentobarbital.’ The drug is used to anesthetize and euthanize (mercy kill) animals.
How in the HELL can something like this end up in dog food…by accident?
I’m sorry, but the mind can’t help but go there. I do not think for a moment that it being there had anything to do with the Evanger company. But they have cut ties with their supplier; who they say services many other pet food companies and they had been with for 40 years.
According to a report on MSN.com, Evanger’s said in a press release that ?pentobarbital?is more of an issue in dry foods that get their ingredients from rendering plants, which Evanger’s doesn’t do.
Dr. Alan Lewis of DePorre Veterinary Hospital in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., advised dog owners to take the recall seriously.
“I would be vigilant?of any of those things,” he said. “Call your?vet to see if they have any more information. In most cases, they?re just taking abundance of caution.”
Pentobarbital can cause?drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance,?nausea?and sometimes?death, said the company.
Evanger’s is paying the ill dogs’ vet bills and making?a donation to a local shelter in honor of Talula, one of four pugs owned by Nikki Mael and her family?in Washougal, Wash., who became ill after eating the dog food.
Little Talula passed away.
Get more details in the video below.