*A little girl who went to bed a few hours after her birthday party ended was found unresponsive by her dad, according to CNN.
There was a Mylar balloon over her head.
According to reports, the little girl’s family believes she may have tried to open the 3-foot balloon and suck the helium out by putting it over her head.
Now her family, even through their devastation, hopes to raise awareness about the dangers of balloons, reports KATU.
“Right now, it’s too raw with everybody. What can you say? We all want to turn back yesterday and start over again,” says the girl’s grandmother, who was at the house when the girl was found last week.
The father found the girl’s foot sticking out from under her blankets and the balloon over her head. So he cut the balloon off and performed CPR until medical personnel arrived and spent nearly an hour trying to revive the girl.
“Everybody just hug their kids and tell them you love them,” the grandmother adds.
The girl’s death has been ruled an accident, and won’t be officially investigated.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, balloons are the leading cause of death by suffocation among children in the US, though most accidents involve deflated balloons or the parts of balloons.
“The CPSC does not believe that a completely inflated balloon presents a hazard to young children,” it reports. The girl’s family begs to differ and urges other parents to take this story seriously and hopefully avoid a similar tragedy.