Yikes! Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook

toaster burning, life hack

*It’s so easy to get caught up in the whole social media thing. You forget that everything people might suggest you try, even if it happened to work for them, can be a FAIL for you. And I can think of no better proof of this than to use the experience of a 66-year-old British woman named Suzanne Dale who simply wanted to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich and nearly burned her house down in the process.

Ms. Dale, please know that I am not judging you, girl. I see that this could have easily been me…or any of us for that matter.

Dale saw a post on Facebook that suggested a new way of making a grilled cheese sandwich. Gone were the days of simply putting some butter in that hot frying pan and placing your ready-made, boring-looking, two pieces of cheese inside two slices of bread in it. Buh-bye to smashing that sandwich down and flipping it over with a spatula until its flat and toasty.

No. When you know “better,” you do better, right?

Or so she thought…

Darn Life-hack!

Dale, an entertainment promoter who lives in the UK, tried the new tip. In doing so she turned a toaster on its side and slid the grilled cheese sandwich in. But within seconds the toaster exploded into flames, and Suzanne threw it out the window — snapping the photo of it in the process.

“I thought it might be a faster way of making cheese on toast,” she told the Manchester Evening News. “Luckily I live in a house and have a garden, but if it was anyone living in a flat or somebody who was less agile who couldn’t get out as quick, they were real flames, it could be dangerous.”

Dale wasn’t the first to have a bad experience using the tip she took off Facebook, and there is no definitive reason as to why the toaster ignited. But according to a spokesperson for the Fire Dept. in Manchester, its official:

Trying to make cheese and toast in a toaster is an extremely bad idea and can cause a devastating fire in the kitchen.”

Suzanne wrote this on her Facebook page, beneath the picture of her burning toaster:

 DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME… !!! …Saw a tip on FB about turning your toaster on it’s side for toasted cheese…..thought what a brilliant idea…so gave it a go……. !!…..time for a trip to Argos….!!…. PLEASE SHARE.. !!… there must be other people as daft as me.. !! x
6,005 Likes · 8,193 Comments · 10,144 Shares


And another Facebook user, Erin Fornoff wrote about her experience:

Tried that “life hack” where you turn a toaster on its side and make cheese on toast. Nearly burned down kitchen.

So you, my dears, have been warned. People may have the best intentions when they share stuff on Facebook. But stick to sharing the prayers and self-healing philosophies. At least they won’t burn your house down.


One thought on “Yikes! Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *