*We’ve all seen the dare-devil shows like “Fear Factor,” right? I always wondered what happened to some of the contestants forced to eat bugs, hairballs and other live, disgusting things once the cameras was turned off. Yeah, we saw many of them regurgitate on-camera; but for the fiercely brave – those who didn’t dare let us see them sweat – what happened to them after they left and went home? Surely there must have been repercussions for eating these things?
Unfortunately, the victory was short-lived for one Florida man who participated in such a contest and won. Edward Archbold was required to eat live cockroaches on-air; which he did, one-by-one, but ended up paying the highest price for his uh…bravery?
He paid with his life.
Had he lived, Archbold would’ve walked away with the grand prize – a live python.
In a news release the Broward County sheriff’s office said they are awaiting a post-mortem to give the official cause of death.
The release added that 32-year-old Archbold became ill soon after winning and collapsed in front of the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, approximately 40 miles north of Miami, where the contest was held. Archbold was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
But a professor at UC Riverside is surprised that the death even happened..
“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” states Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside
“Some people do have allergies to roaches, but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”
Some media reports say Archbold choked to death.