*This has got to be one of the most horrible news stories ever. Chinese chef Peng Fan was preparing a meal made from cobra, a rare delicacy. But 20 minutes after cutting the snakes head off, as he went to put it in the trash, the snake had its final revenge: He bit the man and injected him with its flesh-killing, neurotoxic venom.
The snake was an Indochinese spitting cobra, and it is indigenous to Southeast Asia, including Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Burma.
Snake meat is a much sought after delicacy in fine restaurants and the skin is used to make expensive designer goods. The meat is also said to have incredible health benefits too.
For centuries snake meat has been serve up in soup, and it is also considered an important part of Chinese medicine, as it is believed to cure ailments.
One local said: ‘Snake meat is really good for us. It is not so easy to get and is expensive but it has spectacular health benefits.’
‘I have never heard any cases of a dead snake killing anyone, especially not in the kitchen.’
The video below is graphic in nature, but it does not show the actual snake accident described here. It does explain more of what happened to the chef and provides more background on the story.