White Man (Wearing Headphones) Shot & Killed By Utah Police, Didn’t Hear Orders

Dillon Taylor
Dillon Taylor


*Around 7p.m. on Monday officers responded to a call from a 7-Eleven store in Salt Lake City after witnesses reported a man waving a gun around.

Dillon Taylor happened to be walking out of the convenience store with his brother and cousin when officers arrived, and police said he matched a description of the suspect.

Three officers claimed they ordered Taylor to reveal his hands, but said he ignored their commands and was “visibly upset.”

Taylor was then shot and pronounced dead at the scene.

But according to his brother, Taylor was wearing headphones and didn’t even hear the officers’ order.

“He couldn’t hear them, so he just kept walking,” said Jerrail Taylor. “(Then) they had guns pointed at his face. That’s when he turned off the music. I saw them point guns at my brother’s face, and I knew what was going to happen.”

Taylor was ordered to get on the ground by one officer, while another told him to place his hands on top of his head.

“He got confused, he went to pull up his pants to get on the ground, and they shot him,” Jerrail Taylor said.

It is unknown whether Taylor was armed at the time, but his brother insists he didn’t have a gun.

So where was the man waving the gun? The one that the initial call was about?

“All this complaining about one of us having a gun, I’m kind of lost at because none of us had a gun,” said Jerrail Taylor.

Taylor, who had a warrant out for probation violation, had posted a disturbing message on his Facebook page saying he did not want to go back to jail.

“I feel my time is coming soon, my nightmares are telling me,” he posted. “im gonna have warrnts out for my arrest soon. ALL my family has turned and snitched on me. ill die before I go do a lot of time in a cell,” he wrote. “I feel like god cant even save me on this one … this time coming its me and the demons im fighting.”

But police said officers did not likely know Taylor, or anything about the warrant that was out for him.

And a claim that said Taylor had apparently tried to run away from police, was disputed by investigators.

“There’s not any initial indication that he was necessarily fleeing,” said Sgt. Darin Sweeten, of Salt Lake City police. “He was not complying with the officers’ orders that they were giving him. It still needs to be investigated.”

In 2012, Taylor pleaded guilty to robbery and obstructing justice after he and another person stole a tip jar from a restaurant and then a 30-pack of beer about an hour later.

Taylor, whose fiance was three months pregnant at the time of his death, is said to have made threats to a witness to the theft, and one of his accomplices – as well as their wife and daughter about a month after the incident.

He had served about 14 months in the Salt Lake County Jail in connection with those cases.

The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave during the investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *