*Imagine getting your taste buds ready for a good old, deep fried piece of KFC finger lickin’ good chicken, biting down and chewing, only to find that what you are chewing on is…a towel?
A mother in Newcastle, England was horrified when this happened to her stepson. He bit into a deep-fried blue paper towel, the Mirror reported last week.
According to The Express, Krystal Henderson, 29, and 7-year-old Oliver Hallam had gone to KFC in Killingsworth, to get some take-out. Once Oliver got home, he bit into what he assumed was chicken, but recoiled seconds later.
“He pulled it out of his mouth and when he did, it pulled away the batter – you could see the blue roll inside,” Henderson said, according to the Daily Mail.
Henderson said that Oliver biting into a paper towel was worse than if it had just been bad chicken.
“If it was bad chicken they might have just had a bad batch or something,” she said. “But the blue roll could have been used for anything – it could have bleach or disinfectant on it … Had someone wiped their hands on it, had it been used to wipe the floor?”
In May, after investigating the incident, KFC sent Henderson an apology letter, explaining “the blue tissue has most likely originated from a tissue roll used for KFC hygiene purposes. The store assumed it must have fallen unseen into the breading lug that is under the sieve and was not noticed by the cook.”
A spokesperson for KFC made the following statement, obtained by the Mirror:
We’re very sorry for Ms Henderson’s experience and apologized to her immediately, as well as giving her a refund at the time of the incident.
We take food quality and hygiene very seriously and unfortunately, on this extremely rare occasion, our restaurant failed to meet the high standards that both we and our customers expect.
We have retrained staff on our stringent food preparation procedures at this store to ensure this doesn’t happen again.
The company also offered Henderson a free meal.