Oh No, Spot, Don’t Eat That! Here’s 5 Foods That Could Kill Your Dog

sick-dog-public-domain*We love our animals to death, right? They simply can do no wrong. Let’s face it, when defending our little sweeties we justify all kinds of behaviors they display.

“Girl! He chewed your new Louis Vuittons? I’m sorry, he’s still teething.”

“Oh, she wasn’t growling at you silly, that’s just how she says hello.”

And am I lying when I remind you that on any given day we find ourselves saying things like, “Oh, ‘Bruno’ forgets that he’s a dog” or “We treat our dogs just like one of our kids.”

But Bruno is a dog, and among other things, his digestive system is different. So when you get the urge to celebrate all things good in his life and start making cookies, please: keep him away from the dough!

I was amazed to learn that doggie could die from ingesting store bought yeast, but take a look at what Pet360 says about it.

Image: Gayvoronskaya_Yana via Shutterstock
Image: Gayvoronskaya_Yana via Shutterstock

Beer, wine and cocktails aside, alcohol can also be found in desserts and can be created in your dog’s stomach if they ingest homemade or store bought yeast dough used in making bread, rolls and pizza. Even small amounts of alcohol, both ingested through alcoholic beverages and produced in the stomach, can be life threatening, making it important to call your vet before you notice any serious poisoning symptoms like seizures.

Dr. Wismer suggests teaching your dogs how to “leave” or “drop” things to prevent them from consuming dangerous foods both at home and outdoors and training young children not to leave things where dogs can get into them.

Now some things we just assume even doggie would stay away from, right? I mean, what kind of dog would eat onions or garlic?

Humph! A hungry one.

Image: ruzanna via Shutterstock
Image: ruzanna via Shutterstock

According to Pet360…

If eaten in large amounts, onions and garlic can cause the destruction of red blood cells and lead to anemia in dogs, Dr. Wismer says. Although the size of the dose determines the level of poisoning, lethargy and a reduced appetite can be symptoms of a toxic reaction. The sooner you diagnose potential poisoning the better, so if they’re acting strangely don’t hesitate to call your veterinarian.

And this is really scary. I mean, grapes are so easily dropped on the floor while you’re washing them or something. This happened to us in our home a few weeks back and the thought of one of our super-inquisitive dogs finding it before we did sent us into “what if” shock!

Image: MichaelJayBerlin via Shutterstock

Both grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, with vomiting, increased urination and increased thirst potential symptoms of poisoning. Help your dog stay out of trouble by keeping grapes and raisins out of reach at all times. Dr. Wismer also recommends talking to your vet about a list of things you and your children should or shouldn’t feed your pets.

“Pets have different dietary requirements and metabolize things differently [than people],” says Dr. Wismer. “Dogs have amazing noses and when it comes to food, they can get themselves in trouble.”

Don’t stop here! There are two more foods you really need to know about. Find out what they are at Pet360.com

And if you believe your pet has ingested a toxic substance, call the ASPCA animal poison control center at 888-426-4435 or the Pet Poison Hotline at 855-213-6680. Both phone lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

2 thoughts on “Oh No, Spot, Don’t Eat That! Here’s 5 Foods That Could Kill Your Dog”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *