Last year in March, we reported a trend called the Cinnamon Challenge that had become viral online. Mostly teenagers were getting involved in the ludicrous dare, but even the Illinois Governor Pat Quinn has done it. But doctors are now saying STOP IT!
There are plenty of people out there still attempting to ingest ground cinnamon and emergency rooms are full of these nut jobs. But the latest report published in Pediatrics on Monday said “Don’t take the cinnamon challenge.” The dare has led to hospitalizations and a surge in calls to U.S. poison centers, according to the report.
“The fad involves daring someone to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without water. But the spice is caustic, and trying to gulp it down can cause choking, throat irritation, breathing trouble and even collapsed lungs, the report said.”
Last year, the poison control center clocked 51 calls due to the trend in 2011. But, a spike hit in 2012 with over 200 calls to the poison center. Some people like Dejah Reed, 16, had never had breathing problems prior to taking the challenge which she admits she’s attempted four times. But last February, when her father found her at home and she was a bluish color, he raced her to the emergency room and she finally had a change of heart. Her lung collapsed and she is now running a website against the trend. Hopefully, she will change young people’s minds.
Read more here.