Detroit Police Officer FINALLY Charged in Child’s Shooting Death

Aiyana Stanley-Jones, 7, was killed in a police raid May 16, 2010 and the officer was finally charged in her death on October 4, 2011.

Last spring, Detroit police ran into a home searching for a young man’s killer and ended up killing a young girl as she slept across from her grandmother in the living room of their home.  The first officer to charge into the home said the grandmother grabbed his gun causing it to misfire.  The police officer was never charged for her murder….until now.

The Detroit Free Press reported yesterday that both the police officer, Joseph Weekley, and a photographer and producer for A&E’s “The First 48,” Allison Howard, were indicted for the murder and obstruction of justice that occurred in the death of 7-year old Aiyana Stanley-Jones.  The Jones family had been waiting for some form of justice for the child since her fatal shooting death May 16, 2010.

The First 48 filmed the raid of the home because a young man, Je’Rean Blake, 17, was killed at a bus stop on May 14, by Chauncey Owens, 34, that lived in the duplex home of Aiyana Stanley-Jones and they were featuring the case on the show.  But, the plot thickens.  The media gave a disturbing view of the family when it was found that Aiyana’s father, Charles Jones, was responsible for Blakes’s shooting death by providing Owens with the gun.  Owens took a plea deal that reduced his charge to second degree murder when he told of Jones’ participation. Owens said that Blake shot him a “dirty look” as he rode past him on a moped and he came back and shot into the crowd where Blake stood and fatally wounded him.

But Tuesday, was a day of reckoning for Aiyana and a blow to the family in the murder charge against her father.  But now the city of Detroit and Al Sharpton can feel a little at ease after the long battle to get justice for the girl’s death.  Al Sharpton had been to the city to protest the police department’s actions in the case and he also delivered the eulogy at her funeral.  Read the full story here.

One thought on “Detroit Police Officer FINALLY Charged in Child’s Shooting Death”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *