Man Dies From Sauna Sport

*This in from yesterday (Aug. 8).

A Russian trying to win the Sauna World Championships died after collapsing with severe burns in the final stage of an event that required contestants to sit in a 230-degree room as water was tossed onto a searing stove. Vladimir Ladyzhenskiy, an amateur wrestler in his 60s, was pronounced dead late yesterday after he collapsed alongside reigning champion Timo Kaukonen of Finland roughly six minutes into the final round.

Video footage shows workers pouring cold water over the two men and administering first aid as organizers tried to cover up the scene and calm spectators. The men were bleeding from what appeared to be severe burns, said one onlooker. Kaukonen, about 40, was hospitalized in stable condition today. The annual contest had been held since 1999. It will never be held again, a spokesman said. There was no prize other than “some small things,” he said, adding that all rules were followed and temperatures were similar to those in previous years.

Now, there are some extreme things that I would do, but this right here is just dumb. I don’t like to diss the deceased, but there is a valuable lesson to learn from his misfortune – everything is not a sport! People make sport out of everything.

Perhaps it’s just me, but when anyone sits in the sauna, there is only so much one person can take. Some people get claustrophobic, begin to breath heavy, sweat profusely, and get hot, but that is only at normal sauna temperatures. Maybe it’s the love of money, or just the thrill of competition. Sitting in anything that reaches over 102 degrees is probably not that great for your health, let alone 230 degrees. Folks, don’t try this at home… or ever.

Read the full story here.

One thought on “Man Dies From Sauna Sport”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *