Even though federal prosecutors have dropped charges against former Washington Mayor Marion Barry, who was accused of stalking his ex-girlfriend, Donna Watts-Brighthaupt, in Southeast D.C. last weekend, a series of voicemail tapes is putting their rather strange relationship in a whole new light.
The Washington City Paper, a local D.C. media outlet recently made public a series of recordings between the two combatants, er, lovers that puts a whole new spin on their on-off relationship.
It seems that Barry hired Watts-Brighthaupt, a former lobbyist as his driver and personal assistant, and took her to the Democratic National Committee in Denver.
“For reasons that remain murky,” the City Paper says, she was booked to stay in the same hotel room as Barry. However, things didn’t go so well because he put her out because, as she says on the voicemail: “I wouldn’t suck your d*ck.”
The voicemail tapes, BTW, were supplied to the paper by Watts-Brighthaupt’s ex-husband, Delonta Brighthaupt.
According to the paper, after Watts-Brighthaupt said no to Barry’s request for the BJ, he threw her clothes out of the room and forced her to sleep in his rented Cadillac in the hotel’s parking garage.
But no matter, ’cause soon afterward the two started dating and it was also the beginning of his bizarre and deluded voicemail messages, which by the way, have been published online by the City Paper. Here’s a sampling:
* “I’m gone. I’m not gonna think about it anymore. I’m not gonna worry about it like I used to, not gonna pray about it, not gonna do nothing … You don’t even exist. Goodbye, good luck, God bless you.”
* “Donna, this thing’s gotten outta hand. That’s too bad. I don’t want to continue talking to you about anything and I don’t want to press no charges, I don’t wanna do nothin’. I just want to be left alone and so you oughtta do the same thing. Don’t call me.”
* “Donna, you don’t have to answer your home phone … Don’t call me back. I will not take a call from you; I’m not gonna call you, so this is it.”
* “Donna, call me … I’d like to apologize and settle this matter.”
On the other hand, Watts-Brighthaupt got in on the action and fired this hardcore salvo at Barry:
* “You made me f*ck you up in the middle of a Las Vegas casino. I had my shoes off. We were like f*cking Tina and Ike Turner.”
Wow. It makes you wonder why BET is even messing around with amateur reality show stars like “Frankie & Neffe” and “Tiny & Toya,” when they could have the real deal from right in their own backyard: “Marion and Donna?”
Meanwhile, the party, so to speak, ain’t over yet. We’re talking about that very scandalous headline on the frontpage of the City Paper. Needless to say, besides grabbing attention, it’s also pissing a lot of folks off. Watch this report from Fox5/MyFoxDC.com: